Sunday, September 25, 2011

Going across North Carolina for education


Hi, everyone. I am getting both scared and excited about my bike ride across North Carolina. We live in a beautiful state; I'm talking about its natural beauty and the gifts and potential of the people who live here. That potential rests with our children. I'll have many hours a day to think about that, about why I'm riding my bike, while taking in the landscape around me. Mountains then rolling hills then coastal plain.
If I feel intimidated by a 476 mile bike ride, all I have to do is think of another person's experience crossing North Carolina for education. This guy completely humbles me. Matt Jenkins RAN BAREFOOT across North Carolina in 2010 to raise money for the nonprofit he worked for, Western Youth Network. The organization provided after school and other enrichment programming for kids. Jenkins ran 50 kilometers (31 miles) a day from the state's westernmost corner, a 760 mile trek. Here's a blog post about his experience, and it's worth reading about. He even got a snake bite in route! Wow. Inspiring. I'm not alone in wanting to stand up and DO something, something real and physical, to say "This isn't right" when we strip resources from children's futures.

No comments:

Post a Comment